OT: Yahoo Compromise Was: Re: mk

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Feb 26 18:54:37 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 26 February 2013 13:41:15 Rashkae did opine:

> On 02/26/2013 12:01 PM, mk wrote:
> > http://www.maisondepecheur.com/gdkhrreh/tpzeg05p83yyavuzgy6h2xydsw9djr
> > .njiep?92m2bx2/26/2013 6:01:54 PMmk
>
> This is off topic, but since this mail made it through, I thought I
> might pose to question here.  I've been trying to find any information
> on this recent yahoo exploit that has hit the past 4/5 days.
>
> I can find no official announcements, but I've seen more people around
> me hit by this than any other well publicized yahoo exploit in the past,
> and I still don't know how they are getting compromised.

They are playing CMA.

Google I believe has also been compromised:

I was suddenly locked out of accessing the pop3 version of my gmail account
with fetchmail at 3:38 EST yesterday morning the 25th of February, and when
I called, they insisted that MY machine had accessed and changed something
in my account that I wasn't supposed to be able to do, so they locked me
out.  Two of their people, who claimed to speak english but in fact were
miserable failures at it, were adamant about it being my machine, not
theirs.  I hadn't changed anything on that account, or how fetchmail was
sucking it in several years.

I have been thru this machine, both by hand, and using the usual suspects
for rootkit scanning and as near as I can tell, this machine is clean. I
can see the traffic leds on the distribution switch, and on the router
(which is running dd-wrt), there is not any php involved in my web server
setup.  So I am convinced my machine is clean.

If you have a google gmail account, I would consider bailing to another
that is not handled through google owned hardware.  I just did.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
By the yard, life is hard.
By the inch, it's a cinch.
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...