SSD migration boot option problem

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Tue Feb 26 06:49:44 UTC 2013

lazer100 wrote:
> On 26-Feb-13 03:11:17 Nils Kassube wrote:

> >> what I meant was the people who wrote the scripts that generate
> >> /boot/grub/menu.lst
> >
> >Ah, OK - I suppose they just include every OS found. But as that old
> >grub version with menu.lst is obsolete, I wouldn't expect any future
> >changes to that script.

> >> yes, but I prefer it to later versions, and it has everything that
> >> need!
> >>
> >> later versions are becoming more like Windows,
> >:
> >:)
> >
> >Actually I think, Ubuntu tries to become more like MacOS than
> >Windows. Perhaps you should have a look at the other Ubuntu
> >flavours: Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu.
>
> what is the idea of these versus the standard Ubuntu?

They use different desktop versions and differ from the the demands on
system ressources and Windows similarity. See the Wikipedia entries for
a detailed description:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kubuntu>
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lubuntu>
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xubuntu>

> but what is the earliest Ubuntu you could instal to a logical
> partition?

The first Ubuntu version I have used was 6.06 but I suppose earlier
versions could be installed to logical partitions as well. It isn't a
new feature.

> I didnt know you could opt out of the swap partition,
> currently I have 4G of ram,

While you can opt out of a swap partition, there are of course reasons
to use one. E.g. if you want to hibernate the machine, you need one.

> the other thing I thought was if I install a current version of Ubuntu
> to say a logical partition, would that create boot options for the
> earlier Ubuntu and logical partition XP?

I have no idea if the current grub2 knows how to handle Windows in a
logical partition. Actually I only have one machine dual booting Windows
XP / Linux and there Windows is on sda1. And my second Windows system is
Windows only inside Virtualbox.

> luckily installation to a solid state drive is considerably faster
> than installing to magnetic drive, the main cost now is the
> accessing of the installation CD which isnt fast.

Then use a USB stick instead of a CD. Of course that would only work if
you can boot from USB, but I suppose any machine with 4GB of physical
memory is capable of doing that.

Nils