SSD migration boot option problem

Avi Greenbury lists at avi.co
Tue Feb 26 01:17:02 UTC 2013

lazer100 wrote:

> >> what is the idea of these versus the standard Ubuntu?
>
> >They ship with KDE, LXDE and XFCE as their window managers, rather
> >than the Unity that standard Ubuntu ships with.
>
> as its a major ordeal to install each, can you give some hints
> as to what I would gain from each of these?

You can install each on any install of Ubuntu by installing one of
their meta-packages:

  xubuntu-desktop - XFCE
  lubuntu-desktop - LXDE
  ubuntu-desktop  - Unity (or, pre 11.04, Gnome 2)
  kubuntu-desktop - KDE

Installing any of those on a system will add to the list of choices on
the log-in screen. Of course, this may be as much of an ordeal as a
complete install :)

It's hard to explain what you'd gain from each; XFCE and LXDE both aim
for a lightweight experience at the expense of prettiness. LXDE is the
lighter of the two at the expense of completeness.

KDE's just a bit weird :) There's lots of widgets and transparency and
other such modern (and relatively heavy) stuff going on.

There's no real way to do much of an objective comparison; you just
need to try them to find out which you prefer.

--
Avi