SSD migration boot option problem

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Mon Feb 25 16:59:18 UTC 2013

Am Montag, 25. Februar 2013, 11:52:57 schrieb lazer100:
> On 25-Feb-13 11:18:49 Nils Kassube wrote:
> >title         Windows XP
> >root          (hd0,4)
> >makeactive
> >chainloader   +1
>
> ok, I'll try this,
>
> the second number 4, is that the volume number minus 1?

Yes.

> and are sda,sdb,sdc,... the numbers 0,1,2,... for the first number?

Yes.

> what does the chainloader mean?

Sorry, I don't know the answer - I just took the example and modified it
for sda5.

> >> and where in the list can this go? anywhere?
> >
> >There is a hint in menu.lst:
> >
> ># Put static boot stanzas before and/or after AUTOMAGIC KERNEL LIST
> >
> >If you adhere to that advice, your manual entry should survive
> >upgrades.
> can I put it where the commented out example is?

Yes.

> I just wonder if they could put all the boot partitions, with
> the ones they dont want active commented out with #

What do you mean with "they"? The automagic kernel list is generated by
update-grub which is run by installation scripts e.g. for installing new
kernel packages. Your problem seems to be that the update-grub script
only finds a single Windows partition.

> the full menu.lst follows, but I have replaced some of the UUID's by
> zeros in case that is confidential,

UUIDs are not confidential - they are just random numbers. They are used
to identify individual file systems because the device names (sda, sdb,
etc.) are not guaranteed to be the same after a reboot. While you should
not post your passwords, I would recommend to post the original UUIDs.
Then it might be easier to determine if there are errors in your
configuration.

> titleUbuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic

I hope you are aware that this is an ancient Ubuntu version for which
the support has ended nearly 3 years ago ...

Nils