SSD migration boot option problem

lazer100 lazer100 at talktalk.net
Sun Feb 24 20:18:32 UTC 2013

On 24-Feb-13 17:29:57 lazer100 wrote:

>I had Ubuntu and Windows XP installed on a magnetic drive.

>I decided to reinstall both to solid state drive (SSD),
>but wanted to also be able to boot the original versions,
>just in case some useful files got forgotten.

>I installed XP without problem to the SSD, but
>lost the option to boot to the original Windows XP.

>next I installed Ubuntu to the SSD, hoping that this would create
>the option to boot to all 4 OS's.

>what happened in fact, is that the resulting GRUB boot options
>were for both the new SSD Ubuntu and the original magnetic Ubuntu,
>as wanted,

>but for Windows there is only the option for the magnetic Windows XP,
>which I am trying to move away from,

>currently the SSD is sda,
>the magnetic drive is sdb,

>with the SSD, the partitions are:

>volume 1: new Ubuntu32 (8.10 desktop i386)
>volume 2: unused
>volume 4: logical volume

>   volume 5: new Windows XP
>   volume 6: unused
>   volume 7: Linux Swap partition.

>the magnetic drive is:

>volume 1: original Windows XP
>volume 2: dont know
>volume 3: original Ubuntu32
>volume 4: logical volume

>   volume 5: Linux Swap partition

>the file /boot/grub/menu.lst has the entry for Windows,
>these are from my handwritten notes so the spacing could be wrong:

>title ?????????
>root  (hd1,0)
>savedefault
>map (hd0) (hd1)
>map (hd1) (hd0)
>chainloader +1

>(I'm writing the email from Windows as I want to keep the emails in one
>place. but this means I cannot examine the Ubuntu volume as its ext2
>which I cannot access in XP)

the precise form of the magnetic drive XP boot option is:

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/sdb1
title           Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
root            (hd1,0)
savedefault
map             (hd0) (hd1)
map             (hd1) (hd0)
chainloader     +1

>how do I get the SSD Windows XP to appear in the boot options?

this is sda5, what is the /boot/grub/menu.lst entry for this?

and where in the list can this go? anywhere?

I dont mind entering this manually, but I need to know how to do this.