Non-PAE kernel in 12.10

Debian at paulscrap.com Debian at paulscrap.com
Sat Feb 23 19:09:52 UTC 2013

On 02/23/2013 01:51 PM, Liam Proven wrote:
> Don't know if anyone remembers this, but I did it last night.
>
> The key is that the PAE kernel boots & runs just fine on non-PAE
> processors *if* the CPU reports that it can do PAE. So someone's
> devised a tiny little tool that lies and puts the string "pae" into
> /proc/cpuinfo so that the PAE kernels believe your Pentium-M is
> compliant.

Liam,

	Do you have any more info or sources about this? Are there any
tradeoffs or gotchas when doing this?  I ask because I have a Debian
system with a Pentium M that boots fine off of a 686-pae kernel after
upgrading it to Wheezy last night.  I *just* posted to the Debian-User
list about that an hour or two ago.

	Short version : I did install 486 kernel before reboot, but forgot to
remove 686-pae kernel.  It defaulted to the pae one, and started up fine.

	The interesting thing is that the cpu flags still doesn't have pae in it.

--
PaulNM