Word Perfect

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 16:31:01 UTC 2013

On 21 February 2013 16:20, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2013/2/20 Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com>:

>>> I'm not sure why I would need to try that… :P
>>

>> I've always wanted to try WordStar with the cp/m emulator, which would be a
>> hoot. :) Ric
>
> I remember the mid 1980's at school (university). Our operating system
> was Primos (from PR1ME, but they switched to Unix later when they
> moved to another building and also replaced the computer interely) and
> the two most used programs (besides cc and gcc, f77 and other
> compilers) were Emacs and WordMarc Composer+ (a text based word
> processor, no WYSIWYG what so ever). There was also a DOS version of
> WordMarc, but I never liked it…
> And after they switched to Unix, they installed a spreadsheet program
> called S20/20. Everything text based, most terminals were PT200. Three
> colours: Yellow, dark yellow and black… :P
>
> I wonder if it is possible to install WordMarc Composer+ on Linux. Anyone…?

That is one I have not heard of, but then, although I was a VAX
sysadmin in my early career, by then, VAXen were mainly servers, not
workstations any more. I did briefly try DECwrite under DECwindows on
a VAXstation. It was pretty awful, but for the time, considering, it
was impressive.

I also did some support work on a PDP-11 running RSTS/E with an even
earlier, terminal-based version of DECwrite or something like it.
Horribly primitive. Some demigod of a computer salesman sold it to a
firm of lawyers on the Isle of Man as a quarter-of-a-million-pound
wordprocessing system *in the late 1980s*, when it was already about a
decade obsolete.

You could ask on the ClassicCmp mailing list - someone might have it:
http://classiccmp.org/

You'd need to run it under SIMH. I have VAX/VMS running on SIMH on the
machine I'm typing on - it's not too hard to do.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884