disk space expansion

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Wed Feb 20 22:35:24 UTC 2013

On 20/02/13 13:28, Colin Law wrote:

> I think you have to boot off the live CD or a gparted CD and shrink
> and move the partitions inside sda2 so that there is a gap at the end
> of sda2.  Then you can shrink sda2 and move it up, then expand sda1.
>
> Backup first of course.
>
> Colin

Colin,
Thanks for the speedy reply!
Do you mean that I, using a live CD, can shift sda2 e.g. 10 GiB up? I
have never had the need to use gparted for this purpose. A possibility I
think of is to move /dev/sda5 (which is then mount-point for /root)
after swap (dev/sda8). I then should have ample space for the expansion
of /dev/sda1 (/boot).
Again, thanks and I keep you posted,
Joep