Looooong Horror story, 10.04.4 LTS on an amd turion 64 bit laptop version

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 19:15:57 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 12:00 PM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > > the ubuntu equivalent of "sudo service network restart"?
> > >
> > > Thanks for any advice here. I'd like to fix it rather than re-install.
> > > Heck, I might even learn something!
> > >
> > > Cheers, Gene
> > > --
> > >
> > > "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
> > >  soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
> > >
> > > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> > > My web page: <http://coyoteden.dyndns-free.com:85/gene> is up!
> > > My views
> > > <http://www.armchairpatriot.com/What%20Has%20America%20Become.shtml>
> > > core error - bus dumped
> > > I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
> > > harder and harder to find any...
> > >
> > > --
> >
> > Hi Gene,
> > Does this special linux spin have all the drivers? i.e. driver
> > for your eth0 or wlan0 ? If it does then  yout should be able
> > to run ifconfig eth0
> > and it should at least output info about it.
>
> Sure, but eth0 has no IP address, only its mac address when I attempt to
> set it up static style.
>
> > If no info, then no driver!!
> > If there is info, then attack the NM.
> > Can you see the NM icon on the graphical desktop?
> > If yes, right click the icon and select Edit
> > and take it from there.
>
> NM is helpless as I stated above, no support for modern WPA/PSK encryption
> or long pass phrases in the version supplied with 10.04.4 LTS.
>
> For that, NM needs to be 1.61 or newer, and its 1.58 IIRC.  I even tried to
> build the later versions, did build wpa_supplicant ok, but some header was
> missing that the current NM needs to build, and which was not locatable in
> a 10.04 compatible version on the internet.  However, when wlan1 connects,
> that driver does support the newer security models internally and the
> connection is bullet proof.  But after installing the newer kernel, then
> doing the update-manager thing to bring its 10.04.4 LTS install up to date,
> then neither interface is noticed enough to be mentioned in dmesg, when
> booted to the old kernel.  Previously I often had to boot, unplug the
> dongle and replug it, at which point it was reported in dmesg, about 15
> lines worth IIRC, and the secure negotiation with the AP was then
> successful and I had a dhcp negotiated connection about 20 seconds later..
>
> Or I could plug in a cable and that worked also.  Now, booted to that same
> older kernel, either networking is fubar, or udev.  So my tendency is to
> point at something the update-manager helpfully updated.
>
> I don't even have it (NM) installed on the other 3 machines because they
> are desk or tower machines and are all setup with static connections that
> Just Work(TM).
>
> So I am going to take printouts of the interfaces and syscnf files from
> this machine out to it and see if I can at least get eth0 to work.  If that
> fails, then I'll do a reinstall and start all over, but not before I hear

back from you folks in case someone else has hit this.  I'll make the
> dongle work, and then see if the update-manager destroys it again.
>
> Thanks.
> Cheers, Gene

Hi Gene,
Since you have decided to copy the sysconf files from the other working
machine to the non-working one, how about simply connecting the drive
of the non-working machine to one of the working machines,
mount he drive as a secondary drive on the working machine,
and back up the non-working drive first,
then unmount  it, and mkfs it, remount it, and the cd to root of working
drive and run
tar cf - . | (tar -C /{non-working-drive's-mount-point} -xpf -

When that is finished, cd back into the non-working drive
and at lease change things like the host name and any static
ip addresses in the sysconf../network..../ifcfg....   etc.
Be sure to also change the wpa_supplcant.conf file, if any.

Hope this helps.