Looooong Horror story, 10.04.4 LTS on an amd turion 64 bit laptop version

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 18:13:06 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 7:38 AM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:

> Greetings all;
>
> Yesterday, I pulled my laptop out of the case for the first time in several
> months. So it was not 'uptodate'.
>
> As usual, I had a hell of a time making networking work and finally in my
> putzing around I made wlan1 work, which is a usb interfaced 802/11 linksys
> thingy.  With a cat5 plugged directly into a hub in the shop (my whole
> place is wired, plus 2 wireless AP's), I could not get an eth0 connection
> even when doing 'static'.  I think it was looking for IPv6 and rejecting
> IPv4, which all of my local 192.168.xx.xx net is.  No IPv6 has made it to
> my neighborhood anyway.  FWIW I have had to disable ipv6 stuff in 2 of the
> other 4 machines here in order to make ipv4 usable, using the recipe at
>
> <http://www.webupd8.org/2010/05/how-to-disable-ipv6-in-ubuntu-1004.html>
>
> I used a procedure which installed a custom combo of kernel 3.5.7 +
> xenomai, which appeared to install without any gotchas.  But when I was
> done, I noted the update-manager had checked & wanted to update some stuff,
> so before rebooting, I let it, 209 packages total.
>
> One of the packages I saw go by was grub.  Since I have 4 other machines
> here running this same install cd, and they aren't having any grub problems
> I didn't think anything of it.
>
> The update-manager finished, I had it recheck, nothing left to do so I
> rebooted.
>
> No grub menu, and it tried to boot straight into the new 3.5.7+xenomai
> kernel, doing a kernel panic .6 seconds later when it wasn't able to mount
> sda1 as boot.  NDI why.  Wash with power button, rinse and repeat for
> probably 50 stop-starts on the hard drive while looking for the magic
> keyboard combo to bring up the grub menu.  Go on IRC asking, get told quite
> a few as it seems few actually knew, and about an hour later finally hit on
> left shift+ctl, dancing on that at powerup finally gets me the grub menu.
>
> Boot to old kernel, a custom built 2.6.32+RTAI kernel as this install cd is
> a custom spin from the linuxcnc.org site that we have been running CNC
> machining tools with since 10.04 LTS came out.  IOW, well tested, rock
> solid.
>
> No networking at all, usb detection of my plugging in the radio dongle is
> not recorded in dmesg, not a peep.  This lappy has a built in radio, but
> its a bcm4318, and not even the windows drivers have ever been able to make
> it work reliably.  It is disabled in the bios but that didn't stop dmesg
> from mewling about it.
>
> Its well known that the version of network-manager in 10.04 LTS is broken,
> no support for wpa_supplicant, and despite my requests over the last 3
> years, no update to that has been done, so it usually gets disabled and
> host file based 'static' is configured in /etc/network/interfaces.  Even
> that isn't working now.
>
> So, I will probably wind up re-installing from that same cd when I can find
> [...]

Hi Gene,
Does this special linux spin have all the drivers? i.e. driver
for your eth0 or wlan0 ? If it does then  yout should be able
to run ifconfig eth0
and it should at least output info about it.
If no info, then no driver!!
If there is info, then attack the NM.
Can you see the NM icon on the graphical desktop?
If yes, right click the icon and select Edit
and take it from there.