Connecting to public wifi hotspots

Avi Greenbury lists at avi.co
Sun Feb 17 20:04:19 UTC 2013

JD wrote:
>     Okay, so let's move on to the next bit. When you ask the DNS server
>     for the IP address of the domain of your home page (google.com?) what
>     does it say?
>
>     When you try to request your page from that IP address, what's the
>     status header? Is there a redirect?
>
>     Basically, what I would do in your position is go through each step
>     Firefox is going through and see at which point it fails.
>

>     --
>     Avi
>

> 1.  I already posted the the browser's message - to the effect
> "Server not found"

Yes. That's why I'm asking you to do these outside of the browser.

> 2.  And how would I go about taking all the steps (which are internal
> to the design of firefox and the libraries it interfaces with)?

You've already done some of this testing, according to your earlier
mail. Did you not check the DNS before?

Anyway, first up I'd make a HEAD request to that server for that page
and see what comes out:

  HEAD www.google.co.uk

That'll tell you if there's a redirect or not, and if so where it's
to. I'd then run HEAD with that redirected-to URL as its argument and
see if I can get anything out of it. The further from where we are now
we get the harder it is to suggest what to do next for every

> What are asking is something I challange anyone to accomplish
> without having a source code debugger with with step function.

I do it most days without a debugger. You'll need to install
libwww-perl to get the HEAD command.

--
Avi