Connecting to public wifi hotspots

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 18:14:59 UTC 2013

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 6:37 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 17 February 2013 01:49, JD <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > Ubuntu 12.10.
> > Latest updates as of 2 weeks ago.
> > Lost access to internet at home and so, I finally decided
> > to take it to a public hotspot to update ubuntu.
> >
> > When I click on the NetworkManager (henceforth NM), icon I select the
> SSID
> > that is open (usually, at&t wifi, or some other nearby hotspot
> > which is also open).
> >
> > NM does indeed connect, sets up the default route and populates
> > /etc/resolv.conf and assigns an ip address to my wifi interface wlan0.
>
> What do you mean "sets up the default route and populates
> /etc/resolv.conf"?  Mine does not touch resolv.conf.  Have you been
> playing with your network setup or is it as installed?

It is the job of NM to do that!!!
If yours does not, then it is not the default NM configuration for your
interface.

> Try booting off the live CD/USB and see if it works then.

That's too much to ask me to do as I no longer have high speed
internet with which I can download the live cd/dvd.

> > However, when I fire up Firefox, I expected it to take me to the local
> > shop's login  (accept these blah blah blah agreement...etc).
> > Well, firefox only fails! It does not seem to display that local
> provider's
> > login page, and gives me the error page.
>
> What error page?

Like this:
Server not found

          Firefox can't find the server at www.google.com.
  Check the address for typing errors such as
    ww.example.com instead of www.example.com
  If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
    connection.
  If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make
sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.