Connecting a wireless router

Bill Stanley bstanle at wowway.com
Fri Feb 15 14:28:46 UTC 2013

On 02/15/2013 01:11 AM, Jkhatri wrote:
> On Friday 15 February 2013 11:06 AM, Bill Stanley wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am having trouble getting a connection to a wireless router. The
>> computer is a Dell laptop which dual boots Xubuntu 12.04 and Windows XP.
>> When the computer boots to Windows, there is no problem so I am
>> certain that the laptop and router are working properly.  (No hardware
>> problems.)
>>
>> I searched some web-pages and some of them say I need to install the
>> proper drivers.  The proper drivers would be the Windows drivers in a
>> wrapper.  I doubt it so I am coming here for some help.  The router is
>> a new Tenda Model W268R.  I looked up the docs on the router and
>> nowhere does it mention Linux.  Maybe it is a Windows only router?
>>
>> Bill Stanley
>>
> well, can you see the available wireless network ( your SSID ) ??
>
> whats the output of following[1] command
>
> [1]  sudo lshw -C Network

The output of lshw -C Network is

PCI (sysfs)

   *-network
        product: BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN
        vendor: Broadcom Corporation
        physical id: 0
        bus info: pci at 0000:05:00.0
        version: 01
        width: 32 bits
        clock: 33MHz
        capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
        configuration: driver=b43-pci-bridge latency=0
        resources: irq:18 memory:c0200000-c0203fff
   *-network
        product: BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX
        vendor: Broadcom Corporation
        physical id: 0
        bus info: pci at 0000:08:00.0
        logical name: eth0
        version: 02
        serial: 00:15:c5:ca:d7:c3
        size: 100Mbit/s
        capacity: 100Mbit/s
        width: 32 bits
        clock: 33MHz
        capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical mii 10bt
10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
        configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=b44
driverversion=2.0 duplex=full ip=192.168.0.100 latency=64 link=yes
multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=100Mbit/s
        resources: irq:21 memory:c0300000-c0301fff
   *-network DISABLED
        physical id: 1
        logical name: wlan0
        serial: 00:19:7d:03:dc:09
        capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
        configuration: broadcast=yes driver=b43
driverversion=3.2.0-23-generic firmware=N/A link=no multicast=yes
wireless=IEEE 802.11bg

Bill Stanley