Connecting a wireless router

সাজেদুর রহিম জোয়ারদার toshazed at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 09:22:03 UTC 2013

Hello Bill

2013/2/15 Bill Stanley <bstanle at wowway.com>

> Hi,
>
> I am having trouble getting a connection to a wireless router.  The
> computer is a Dell laptop which dual boots Xubuntu 12.04 and Windows XP.
> When the computer boots to Windows, there is no problem so I am certain
> that the laptop and router are working properly.  (No hardware problems.)

Nice.

> I searched some web-pages and some of them say I need to install the
> proper drivers.  The proper drivers would be the Windows drivers in a
> wrapper.  I doubt it so I am coming here for some help.

The suggestions you got from the web searches, was for your wlan card not
for the router. [?]

So let us get some valuable informations. From windows, just get your
wireless lan (wlan) card informations. It's brand and model etc.

If it is an PCI WLan card then just reboot into GNU/Linux (Xbuntu 12.04)
and then put the following command in the terminal --

*lspci*

and paste the output of it, here for us.  Along with this also put the
informations you have got earlier about the wi-fi card from your windows.

The router is a new Tenda Model W268R.  I looked up the docs on the router
> and nowhere does it mention Linux.  Maybe it is a Windows only router?

Now a days the routers are much more standardized and they support all the
popular OS platforms (GNU/Linux, Mac and Microsoft OS Family also).

I found your Tenda W268R a GNU/Linux supported one. I could easily be
configured through Chromium/Firefox.

So From my perspective, you don't have to worry about your router but your
wi-fi card/wlan Card. Hope you will let us have the informations quick and
correct ASAP.

With regards
--
রিং/ring