Can't play Blu-Ray disc on new computer With Blu-ray Drive and Nvidia Geforce GT-640 2GB video card

James R McKenzie jimmckenzie at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 11 21:28:47 UTC 2013

This is what my computer has inside

Installed these myself. Linux Mint 14 64 Bit & Kubuntu 12.10 (Both with latest Kernels)

The Computer arrived OS sterile. It was either that or pay for a copy of Windows I had no possible use for.

AMD BULLDOZER FX-8150 3.6GHz Eight-Core AM3+ Processor
Corsair HYDRO H60 ENCLOSED LIQUID COOLING SYSTEM
OCZ/ARCTIC Ultra 5+ Silver Thermal Compound
Asus M5A97 R2.0 Socket AM3+/ AMD 970/ Quad CrossFireX/ A&GbE/ SATA3&USB3.0/ ATX Motherboard
32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1333MHz (PC3 10600) Dual / Quad Channel
(4X) MEMORY HEAT SPREADERS
SEAGATE / WD 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB CACHE SATA 6.0Gb/s
VANTEC ULTRA HIGH PERFORMANCE HDD COOLING FAN
12X BLU-RAY DISK BURNER DVD-RW COMBO DRIVE w/3D Feature
nVidia GeForce GT640 2GB DDR3 2-DVI/HDMI PCI-EXP Video Card
REALTEK 8-CHANNEL DIGITAL SOUND ONBOARD
REALTEK 10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Card (onboard)
Wireless-N External USB2.0 Adapter
4-Port USB 2.0 PCI Host Adapter
COOLER MASTER Storm Sniper SGC-6000-KXN1-GP Black Steel, ABS Plastic, Mesh bezel ATX Mid
Tower Computer Case
DELUXE COOLING PACKAGE
THERMALTAKE 600 WATT HIGH PERFORMANCE SLI/CROSSFIRE POWER SUPPLY
INTERNAL ALL IN ONE DIGITAL CARD READER/WRITER

When I insert the disc into the drive and the Pop-p menu shows in the bottom right corner next to the clock Widget, I'm not given the option of playing the disc with any program not even VLC. I've gone into Synaptic and gotten everything related to Blu-Ray and rebooted. No useful changes took place. I'm certain changing desktops will not make difference (i.e. trying Mate, XFCE  or Cinnamon). Where can the DeCss files for Blu-Ray be downloaded for Linux and would that make any difference?

As always any/all help will be appreciated.

Thank You

James R. McKenzie

jimmckenzie at earthlink.net

P.S. I once again state there is NO Linux community in my area, the last club disbanded in 2004 due to lack of regular attendance, and I'm unemployed there is no one to ask at work.
     The computer was bought with money made from selling a piece of land.