automounting raid array drops to initramfs not boot drive

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 15:03:13 UTC 2013

On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 7:09 PM, Tom Sparks <tom_a_sparks at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>>> I am attempting to make my raid array[1] automounting
>>> but I get the initramfs prompt when I have the drives plugged-in
>>>
>>> this what I see on screen when I boot/reboot the system
>>> 1. the bios screen
>>> 2. the grubs screen
>>> 3. the ubunut splash screen
>>> 4. the initramfs prompt
>>>
>>> if I unplug the drives and reboot I get "press s to skip mounting" message
>>> I press s and plug-in the drives
>>> I am able to mount the array in ubuntu
>>>
>>> /dev/fstab trimmed
>>> "
>>> /dev/md0p1 /media/disk defaults 0 1
>>> "
>>>
>>> I've searched google and have not found any thing the look remotely the same
>>>
>>> PS: I am using ubuntu 12.04 LTS
>>>
>>> [1] two 2tb usb hard drives RAID level 1, multimedia data and related
>>> databases
>>
>> Why would you pause at the initramfs prompt since this array isn't
>> your root device?
>
> the system is doing it

I meant to say "why would your system pause...".

It's not clear to me why you'd be dumped to the initramfs prompt if
md0p1 isn't your root partition.

>> Is md0p1 listed in "mdadm.conf"?

> no, but based on the blkid information md0p1 is being mounted
>
> my mdadm.conf file
> "
> ARRAY /dev/md0 level=raid1 num-devices=2 metadata=00.90 UUID=06cbbe4c:c3570d58:2fbacfcd:db6832dc
> "
>
> sudo blkid (trimmed)
> "
> /dev/md0p1: UUID="8f26340a-c304-49ec-819b-af55e2ab3a95" TYPE="ext4"
> "

The output of "blkid" has nothing to do with a partition being mounted.

mkinitramfs/update-initramfs copy mdadm.conf and an mdadm script to
assemble and mount md arrays in the initramfs.

>> Did you rebuild the initramfs after creating the array and adding it
>> to "mdadm.conf"?

> I did upgrade from 10.0X LTS to 12.04 LTS only yesterday

OK.