automounting raid array drops to initramfs not boot drive

Tom Sparks tom_a_sparks at yahoo.com.au
Sat Feb 9 23:22:08 UTC 2013

I am attempting to make my raid array[1] automounting
but I get the initramfs prompt when I have the drives plugged-in

this what I see on screen when I boot/reboot the system

1. the bios screen
2. the grubs screen
3. the ubunut splash screen
4. the initramfs prompt

if I unplug the drives and reboot I get "press s to skip mounting" message
I press s and plug-in the drives
I am able to mount the array in ubuntu

/dev/fstab trimmed

"
/dev/md0p1 /media/disk defaults 0 1
"

I've searched google and have not found any thing the look remotely the same

PS: I am using ubuntu 12.04 LTS

[1] two 2tb usb hard drives RAID level 1,  multimedia data and related databases
---
tom_a_sparks "It's a nerdy thing I like to do"
Child of the Internet born 1983
Please use ISO approved file formats excluding Office Open XML - http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
Ubuntu wiki page https://wiki.ubuntu.com/tomsparks