Lock Screen Server 12.10

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Wed Feb 6 13:28:38 UTC 2013

hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 06.02.2013, 14:16 +0100 schrieb Joep L. Blom:

> > $ DISPLAY=:0 pkexec gedit /etc/fstab
> > No protocol specified
> > ** (gedit:8459): WARNING **: Could not open X display
> > Cannot open display:
> >
> > Colin
> >

> +1
> I get exactly the same error as Colin (using Xubuntu on 12.04).
> Joep

i discussed that with some colleagues and with upstream... seems pkexec
supresses some variables:

pkexec env DISPLAY=$DISPLAY XAUTHORITY=$XAUTHORITY gedit /etc/fstab

this line should work (though it is indeed awful, we might come up with
a wrapper for this or just generally change all docs (they need to be
touched anyway to reflect the change) to just recommend sudo ...)

there is no reason for using gksu if you fire your app from an X
terminal anyway, as there is no difference to sudo in functionality
here ... apart from the graphical password prompt.

ciao
	oli