Lock Screen Server 12.10

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Wed Feb 6 10:42:53 UTC 2013

hi,
Am Dienstag, den 05.02.2013, 22:35 -0500 schrieb Tom H:
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 5:53 PM, Joep L. Blom <jlblom at neuroweave.nl> wrote:
> > On 05/02/13 11:07, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> >>
> >> running your desktop as root is calling for trouble, the desktop apps
> >> are neither designed nor tested in that context and are likely to not
> >> function in the expected manner ...
> >>
> >> ... the simple answer is, don't log in as root under X, use pkexec (or
> >> the obsolete gksu) to execute apps you need to run as root from a
> >> normally logged in user account instead.
> >
> > I agree of course with your remark about trying to br god: bas idea!.
> > However, since when is gksu ( and even su?) obsolete?
> > I've never used pkexec and why is that an improvement?
> > For the record: I seldom use gksu but always use su -.
>
> Oliver didn't say that "su" is obsolete, only that "gksu" is obsolete.
>
> I didn't know that "gksu" is obsolete...
>
> The difference between gksu/gksudo (they're the same by default, at
> least on Ubuntu) and pkexec is that pkexec's permissions are more
> granular because they use polkit's rules.

sorry if the words confused anyone, gksu is not being used in any (but
two that were just fixed in raring) apps in the default desktop install
since a few releases already. gksu has massive probs with accessibility
(grabs the whole screen and steals the focus, so screen readers as well
as onscreen keyboards have issues). since all apps in the default
desktop switched to use pkexec instead, gksu will be gone from the
default installation with 13.04 ... if you dont want to manually install
gksu all the time, better get used to the preinstalled pkexec ...

the one disadvantage of pkexec is that unlike su/gksu it doesnt keep an
authentication token for 10 minutes so all subsequent authentications in
a script or app will pop up the password dialog again ...

hope that clearifies it, indeed there is nothing wrong with using gksu,
but you will have to manually install it i the future and it hasnt been
actually used in the distro default setup for a while ...

ciao
	oli