ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 102, Issue 18

Adam Wolfe kadamwolfe at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 23:26:34 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 10:56 AM, Adam Wolfe <kadamwolfe at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Why were all the grub entries made to mount / as read-only?
>> Why do most of these options attempt a fsck (and seem to fail) before
>> doing anything else?
> The "ro" on the "linux" lines of the stanzas don't mean that "/" is
> mounted read-only once the system's fully booted up.
>
> The grub "linux" lines have "ro" to allow "/" to be mounted read-only
> and fsck'd. It's then remounted read-write. So it's unsurprising that
> fsck's failing.
I'm really sorry folks, I meant to say all of the "recovery" grub
options.  The normal boot options, and my custom ones for clonezilla and
gparted isos are just fine.  It's the recovery options that mount
everything ro and/or try to fsck for no reason.  This all happened after
a do-release-upgrade from 10.04 to 12.04.

I've only changed ro to rw for the "root" menu selection at the recovery
menu (line 125 of 10_linux).
>> Why does it not boot the default selection on reboot after having chosen
>> recovery at the previous boot?
> What's "GRUB_DEFAULT" set to in "/etc/default/grub"?
Oddly, it's "GRUB_DEFAULT=0".  That was the first thing I went for as
well.  After choosing a recovery mode, doing whatever, then rebooting,
it gets to the grub menu and sits.  Like it's ignoring the GRUB_DEFAULT
and GRUB_TIMEOUT values.  But it's /only /after booting to a recovery
mode.  Choosing any other entry from grub, even the custom ones, then
rebooting again, it will then boot the set default entry.
Here's my full /etc/default/grub:
name at changeme:~$ grep -v \# /etc/default/grub
GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=3
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

>> I've been able to over-write (albeit perhaps only until the next upgrade of
>> grub) the read-only issue by editing /etc/grub.d/10_linux.  But as for the
>> other two issues... really annoying.  Has anyone found an easy way around
>> this?  Installing grub from source, maybe?  Or is there a simple "on/off"
>> switch.
> If you really want to edit 10_linux (for a reason other than changing
> "ro" to "rw"!), I'd advise you to do the following:
>
> cp 10_linux 11_linux
> mv 10_linux 9_linux
> chmod -x 9_linux
> vi 11_linux
>
> That way 1) grub-mkconfig will run 11_linux and 2) when grub's
> upgraded you'll be able to diff 9_linux, the old 10_linux, and the new
> 10_linux.

Nice.  Much better than my thought making my 10_linux un-writeable >_>