gedit vs ssh -Y

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 3 10:30:17 UTC 2013

On 3 February 2013 09:50, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 03 February 2013 04:44:10 Colin Law did opine:
> Message additions Copyright Sunday 03 February 2013 by Gene Heskett
>
>> On 3 February 2013 02:53, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
>> > Greetings;
>> >
>> > 10.04.4 LTS 32 bit installs on both ends of the wire,
>> >
>> > ssh -Y as me has worked well in the past, but something has apparently
>> > now killed it as far as my being able to run a gedit session of the
>> > ssh -Y login.
>> >
>> > The failure returns to the shell:
>> >
>> > gene at shop:~/linuxcnc/nc_files$ gedit rack-clear.ngc
>> > GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible
>> > causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or
>> > you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See
>> > http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details -  1:
>> > Failed to get connection to session: Failed to connect to socket
>> > /tmp/dbus-7cJJt8ttk4: Connection refused)
>>
>> Two questions, have you tried ssh -X,
>
> Just did, same results.  Generally I've found the -Y seems to give me
> better access to the x stuffs, where -X seems to work only for text.
>
>> and does gedit work if run
>> directly at the remote server?
>
> Yes.
>
>> Also (ok three questions) have you tried ssh'ing into a different user
>> at the remote machine?
>
> No, there is only me and sudo on those machines.  And I just found that I
> can run it when sudo.  But sudo -i doesn't work because then I lose rights
> to the x server.

Add another user then.  It is often useful to have a test user for
such situations.  By doing that you will determine whether it is a
system issue or a user settings issue.  You don't need a different
user on your local machine for this test, just the remote one.  The
fact that it works with sudo (I presume you mean sudo gedit rather
than sudo ssh) suggests it is a permissions issue of some sort.

PS
However I have just had a quick google and found others had this error
if any files in ~/.dbus/session-bus (or even the folders themselves)
were owned by root, so it might be worth having a look.  They should
all be owned by the user.  If it is not that have a google for
ssh GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server
and see if any of the other links are useful.  You may have done that
already of course.

Colin