receive e-mail with postfix (blocked by....?)

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Tue Dec 31 00:58:27 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-12-30 at 23:22 +0000, thufir wrote:
> I'm trying to receive only, not send, e-mail, using dovecot-postfix.  I
> think I have the mx record setup correctly:

Thufir,

I don't understand the rest of your email, but, given a domain name
registered at somewhere like 1&1 where you can log into the email admin
section to edit the mx record, I know exactly how to make this work.
Unfortunately my setup requires, as somebody else said, access to the
router to set up a port forward.

My starting point is to install postfix using the "Satellite system"
option when prompted.

You also can get postfix to operate as a LAN (not open) email relay to
send out via your 1&1 or whatever authenticated SMTP box.

Dave