DO NOT install Tupi 2D Animation software

Gilles Gravier ggravier at fsfe.org
Mon Dec 30 12:30:03 UTC 2013

Hi!

On 30/12/2013 12:17, Roger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is DANGEROUS software.
>
> I use Ubuntu 12.10. I installed Tupi (2D Animation package) and
> without warning it uninstalled software. (Downloaded it from the
> SourceForge site as a .deb)
>
> It removed:
>
>   * gimp
>   * inkscape
>   * gedit
>   * software centre
>
> These are the ones I have found so far. I have no idea what other
> software it has touched - or what else it can do. I am *very* concerned.
>
> It removed the software completely, including repositories and
> updates. It's as though my computer had never heard of these programs.
>
> Home directory appears untouched? although I am currently copying it
> over to an external HDD.
>
> I have not shut the computer down - too scared to.
>
> Help would be gratefully appreciated.
>
> Sonia

Just installed it on a Ubuntu 13.10 machine directly from the software
library (it's the same 0.2 version as available as source on
sourceforge) and no problem whatsoever. GIMP still present on the
machine and available.

On Ubuntu 12.04 (LTS) it's not in the repositories. So I installed the
package from Sourceforge but the only .deb I have is for version 0.1...
which I have just installed. Double clicked on the .deb, and it
installed directly. It launches fine. GIMP is still present, and
Software Center also.

I imagine 2 things might have happened on your system :

1) Could it be that you have installed the wrong .deb (i.e. the 386 on a
64 bit machine, or the amd64 on a 32 bit machine)? In which case, it
might have tried to replace original libraries with the wrong
architecture trying to update them. This didn't happen on my system
where I tried installing the 32 bit version on a 64 bit machine - it
only complained about not being able to install libavcodec53 (which was
already installed)... if you "FORCED" the installation, bad things could
have happened. Can you tell us what command line you typed to install it?

2) Maybe your machine ran out of disk space, in which case bad things
happen like files missing... and could be what you are experiencing. Can
you tell us how much space you have left on all your partitions ("df -h"
should give you that).

Gilles.