probe router wirelessly, double NAT

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sun Dec 29 11:36:29 UTC 2013

On 29 December 2013 11:05, thufir <hawat.thufir at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 10:06:56 +0000, Colin Law wrote:
>
>>> Is the above a correct understanding?
>>
>> No, a bridge is effectively a transparent device on the network joining
>> the two parts together.  The Cisco gateway is (from what you describe)
>> giving out addresses in the 192.168.0.x range and they get passed
>> straight through the bridge without modification.  To probe the router
>> just use 192.168.0.1 whichever side of he bridge you are.
>

> It's not possible that the router gives out an address in the 192.168.1.x
> range?  This device, the bridge I'm using, **always** gives out an
> address in the 192.168.0.x range when connecting to it.

The bridge is not giving out addresses at all, it is just passing your
DHCP request across to the router and passing the result back to you.
That is what a bridge as opposed to a gateway does. To confirm what
the router is doing then try connecting directly to it and and see
what address it gives you.

Colin