Fresh install of Saucy. Apache2 configs from Raring are epic failure

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 06:26:11 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 2:38 AM, Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> hi,
> Am Mittwoch, den 25.12.2013, 18:28 -0800 schrieb Kevin O'Gorman:
>> Due to a GUI meltdown, I found it expedient to do a fresh install so I
>> chose Xubuntu Saucy.
>>
>> All but one thing went well.  My web server is really down.
>
> quoting from:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SaucySalamander/ReleaseNotes#Apache_2.4_and_PHP_5.5
>
> ... "Ubuntu 13.10 includes Apache 2.4 and PHP 5.5. Users of these
> packages should review their configuration prior to upgrade to ensure
> compatibility with Apache 2.4 directives and the new tooling and
> directory structure for managing configuration snippets in the Ubuntu
> packages.
> For more details refer to the Apache 2.4 upgrade guide [1] and the PHP
> 5.5 migration guide [2]." ...
>
> ciao
>         oli
>
> [1] http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/upgrading.html
> [2] http://php.net/manual/en/migration55.changes.php

Thanks to all for trying.  I've read the apache docs and notices.  I
don't use PHP.  I found the compatibility stuff just didn't work at
all, so I moved entirely to the new access features. The only thing
that really isn't working is my passwords file -- it's letting
everybody in.  That was a small part of the site, and I just have it
disabled for now.

I have a few things in /var/www, nothing in /srv.  The big stuff is in
a separate partition mounted as /www and I have a Directory stanza
giving access to that.  I want password protection on two of its
subdirectories, and have not been able to achieve that.  Probably the
next thing I should do is try to achieve password protection on
something, anything at all or even everything, because I have not seen
that yet in 2.4.

--
Kevin O'Gorman