Fresh install of Saucy. Apache2 configs from Raring are epic failure

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 05:51:09 UTC 2013

On Wed, Dec 25, 2013 at 8:26 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 25, 2013 at 7:57 PM, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 2:28 AM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Due to a GUI meltdown, I found it expedient to do a fresh install so I
>>> chose Xubuntu Saucy.
>>>
>>> All but one thing went well.  My web server is really down.
>>>
>>> Now mind, the basics work.  I can access things in /var/www it seems,
>>> but I usually keep only one file there.  I configure aliases to get to
>>> everything else.
>>>
>>> None of these are working.  Home directory pages are not working.  My
>>> specialized code is not working.
>>>
>>> And by not working I mean a pretty uniform 403 with an occasional 404.
>>>  The error log points the finger at my configuration, saying "client
>>> denied by server configuration"
>>>
>>> For example, I have a directory devoted to a dear departed canine
>>> companion named Ogden Gnash.  His stuff is stored in /www/Dogs/Oggie.
>>> I have an alias thus:
>>>
>>> Alias /Oggie /www/Dogs/Oggie
>>> <Directory /www/Dogs/Oggie>
>>>     Order allow,deny
>>>     Allow from all
>>> </Directory>
>>>
>>> And when I try to go to http://kosmanor.com/Oggie the browser tells me
>>> "You don't have permission to access /Oggie on this server." while the
>>> error log contains "
>>>
>>> [Wed Dec 25 18:22:22.504423 2013] [authz_core:error] [pid 6022:tid
>>> 140127561000704] [client 71.80.244.253:43755] AH01630: client denied
>>> by server configuration: /www/Dogs/Oggie
>>>
>>> What could be clearer?  It sees the Alias, but does not give access,
>>> and it's not file permission (which I've checked anyway) but it's the
>>> server configuration.
>>
>> From the README:
>>
>> apache2 (2.4.1-1) unstable; urgency=low
>>
>>   This package introduces a new major release of the Apache HTTP server. It is
>>   likely the site configuration needs changes to work with this release.
>>   Notable changes which need special care are:
>>
>>   The module interface (ABI) has changed. If you have any locally compiled
>>   modules, you have to re-compile them for apache2 2.4.
>>
>>   The authorization and authentication system has changed. Existing
>>   configurations using deprecated Order/Allow/Deny directives should be
>>   upgraded to the new system. Please review upstream's "Authentication,
>>   Authorization and Access Control Howto" [1]. However, "mod_access_compat" is
>>   loaded by default to provide backward compatibility.
>>
>>   Furthermore, MPMs are simple modules now. Thus, the MPM can be changed
>>   at any time by (un-)loading a specific module. Be careful when upgrading. An
>>   example of changing the MPM is given below:
>>
>>   a2dismod mpm_worker
>>   a2enmod mpm_prefork
>>
>>   We did change the security model for Apache in our default configuration. We
>>   do not allow access to the file system outside /var/www and /usr/share.
>>   If you are running virtual hosts or scripts outside these directories, you
> [...]

*ahem* I take it back.  And, really, thanks again.

Deciding to distrust the [1] document's promise of compatibility, I
copied some permissions stanzas from the new userdirs.conf file, and
lo and behold a bunch of directories are now visible.  In fact,
everything except my CGI stuff and user authentication is working.

I presume I'll have to actually learn the new stuff.  It will be like
starting over since this was all set up over 10 years ago, but I can
do that.

Sigh.

--
Kevin O'Gorman