How to setup the same user/passwd and group on multiple ubuntu machines?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Dec 25 11:50:14 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 25 December 2013 06:44:54 Colin Law did opine:

> On 24 December 2013 22:22, Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:
> > Same passwords on multiple
> > machines is a really bad idea.
>
> Why?
> I have six machines in my home, all with myself as a user with the
> same password.  What is the problem with that?
>
> Colin

Because then your only defense against the black hats is your router.  Once
thru that, and they manage to get root on one machine, they own them all.
You do have a _good_ router with aftermarket reflash don't you?

OTOH, I have dd-wrt in my router, and there are between 3 and 6 machines
here, with 5 of them setup with the same pw. dd-wrt is a good guard dog.

Merry Christmas all!

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

I base my fashion taste on what doesn't itch.
		-- Gilda Radner
         law-abiding citizens.