EEEK! cannot log in

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Wed Dec 25 03:00:41 UTC 2013

I did only a little bit of work in rescue mode: extended my home
partition and /tmp, but now I cannot do a graphical login.

You'd think it was the disk work.  But I can do a Ctl-Alt F1 console
login just fine.  But even if I create a brand new user, I cannot log
into that account graphically.

The only hint I get is that when I do drop to console mode, it shows
some complaints about being disconnected from "Plymouth", whatever
that is.

I have no idea how to recover this other than a complete restore from
backup or comptete install.  Fortunately, I have plenty of backups,
time and disk space to do those, but I would *really* like to know
what happened.

Hmm, maybe this is a hint I should upgrade to Saucy. ( Xubuntu raring
right now).

++kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman