simple upstart example

thufir hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 05:31:05 UTC 2013

On Sun, 22 Dec 2013 09:26:57 +1100, Karl Auer wrote:

> Not sure what you are trying to do here. Do you want to limit the number
> of processes started, or the time between each new process starting?

To have minerd, cpu mining, always running, but no more than one or two
miners.  Left alone, one instance of minerd will peg the cpu.

Well, I might not need upstart, but I still want to figure it out.  Just a
quick reply to give the context.  I figured I'd cash in on bitcoin with
some cloud mining.  The server "droplets" at digital ocean are pretty neat
and not too expensive, and there are codes for credits (git10 I think was
my code).  However, comparing my hashrate for "digging" some "dogecoin"
with others, cpu mining just won't pan out, ever. (Haha, gold, pan for
gold...)

I was hoping it would make sense, but it just doesn't.  Cheaper to just
buy coins with cash and speculate that way.

However, I just ssh'ed (ssh is pretty neat, never used it before) into
both droplets and minerd is still cranking away -- at a whopping 6.5k hash/
second (way too slow) per server.

So, I don't think I require, per se, upstart since the servers are
reliable and the background job is still running on each server.

However, it seems like good knowledge to have, so I'll look into it more.

-Thufir