firefox blocks java

thufir hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 18:43:20 UTC 2013

On Sat, 21 Dec 2013 10:38:14 -0600, Tommy Trussell wrote:

> http://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/08/java-exploit-leveraged-two-flaws/
>
> http://www.oit.umass.edu/news/2013-01-14/serious-java-vulnerability-
targets-windows-macintosh-linux-computers-0

> I don't understand what exact proof you are looking for. Could it be
> that these security breaches are ALL essentially violations of the
> "sandbox"
> concept?

I wasn't looking for "proof" of anything, I was just curious.  I took a
look those articles, and in one they say to use Java 6 because the univ
doesn't use 7 -- which seems like bad advice for all their students and
faculty.

The other article does say that Java in the browser is a problem, which I
guess it is, but that just reminds me that ages ago Sun was really
promoting Java Web Start.  I dunno, I'll look into it more, apparently,
from one of those articles, Java "in" the browser (applets?) are insecure
on Linux, too.

-Thufir