Ruby and ri(1) ruby information

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 09:13:29 UTC 2013

On 21 December 2013 00:23, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 1:53 PM, Phil Dobbin <bukowskiscat at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I heartily agree. RVM is the way to go. You can install, as a single user
>> installation, in $HOME/ &, apart from very rare instances, never have to use
>> 'sudo'.
>>
>> Also it'll give you the chance to use Ruby v2 which has considerable
>> improvements. Ruby 1.8.7 is EOL...
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>>   Phil.
>
> I'm not sure I'm getting all of this.  When you say "install" do you
> mean "apt-get install" or one of the ruby things that manages
> packages?  To the extent possible, I'd like to avoid confusing one
> package manager with updates done by another.  I don't know if that's
> an issue with Ruby; I'm just asking to verify because of all of this
> talk about gem or rvm doing package management.

# install dependencies
sudo apt-get install build-essential bison openssl libreadline6
libreadline6-dev curl git-core \
zlib1g zlib1g-dev libssl-dev libyaml-dev libxml2-dev autoconf
libc6-dev ncurses-dev automake \
libtool

# install rvm, ruby and rails
curl -L https://get.rvm.io | bash -s stable

See rvm.io for info on rvm.  The above may be a little out of date as
I think rvm now includes an autolibs facility that means you don't
need to manually install the dependencies, but the above should still
work.
When using rvm any gems install command should be run without sudo.

Colin