boot from external hard drive

Gary Kirkpatrick garyartista at gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 07:28:47 UTC 2013

On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 4:38 PM, Gary Kirkpatrick <garyartista at gmail.com>wrote:

> My hard disk is bad and instead of buying a new one I would prefer to boot
> from my external hard drive.  I installed 13.10 on it.  When I boot  I get
>
> 1.168876 kernel panic-  not syncing:  no init found.  try passing
> init)option to kernel
>
> I followed the instructions here:
>

> http://askubuntu.com/questions/43174/installing-ubuntu-on-external-hard-disk?rq=1
>

> I have tried booting with the hard drive connected and disconnected.  I
> installed with it disconnected.  Seemed to hang up with it connected.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions
>

> garyk

When I look at the drive and open Home, I do not see the normal folders
there--  such as Desktop,Download, etc.  I also installed onto another
external hard drive and I am getting the same error message.

Everything I read refers to a hard drive problem.  Wonder if it could be
something else in the box-  but why would it run perfectly off a USB?

garyk