os problems

thufir hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 13:49:29 UTC 2013

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 00:41:00 -0800, Kenneth Marcy wrote:

>  After as much as can be usefully
> recovered is transferred between old and new hard drives, then the old
> drive might be reformatted to remove the remaining unusable files and
> storage structures, and then used as an additional drive on the
> computer,
> perhaps for backup data storage.

Once you do that the one time, I recomend DaR, disk archiver.  What it
basically does is allow you to specify a "slice" size, and then it will
copy your files, compress them and put them in slices (chunks) of whatever
size you like.

I put them on DVD.  Honestly, I find that I never seem to want to go back
and reload them, but it's good to know that it's possible.  You can also
buy used hard drives and connect them up with a USB enclosure.

But all that is down the road, after you fix your problem.

(Depending on how time critical your problem is, DaR can help automate the
backup quite a bit.  There's a mailing list for support, it makes backups
much, much easier, it automates it.)

-Thufir