issue about `less` in ubuntu

J dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 20:02:57 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 1:09 PM, ping song <songpingemail at gmail.com> wrote:
> less is so handy/quick...a swiss knife of file viewing.
>
> amount the so many features, there are 2 of them I use the most:
>
> search across multiple file : esc-/
> show only the matched lines: &
>
> but a lot of time I want to do both at the same time: search across
> multiples files and show me only the matched lines...
>
> is that really not supported?

Why can you not do this with grep and less?

grep "some string" file1 file2 file3 ... | less

for example:

grep "plugin" * | less

(FYI, this was run against the contents of /usr/share/checkbox/jobs/)

audio.txt.in:plugin: user-interact-verify
audio.txt.in: package.name == 'gir1.2-gst-plugins-base-0.10' or
package.name == 'gir1.2-gst-plugins-base-1.0'
benchmarks.txt.in:plugin: local
benchmarks.txt.in: plugin: shell
cpu.txt.in:plugin: shell
cpu.txt.in:plugin: shell