Why is mounting a USB disk in a usable manner so difficult?

J dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 20:13:19 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 2:25 PM, Johnny Rosenberg
<gurus.knugum at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2013/12/16 J <dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com>

>> NOW, Saucy chooses to mount the drive in my users mount point,
>> /media/username/drivename
>> WITH ROOT ownership.
>> /dev/sdb1 on /media/bladernr/Alexandria type ext4
>> (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks2)
>>
>> bladernr at klaatu:/media/bladernr$ ll
>> total 4
>> drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Dec 16 13:21 Alexandria
>>
>> Which makes it impossible toe ven create files on my USB HDD now.
>>
>> so two questions:
>>
>> How the heck do I fix this so that my external hard drives are mounted
>> in a way that I can actually use them?
>>
>> Why do we make it so bloody difficult to actually plug a drive in and use
>> it?
>

> I don't know why that happens, it doesn't happen to me. I just plug mine in
> and it's ready to be used.
> Anyway, can't you just change the owner with ”sudo chown bladernr:bladernr
> /media/bladernr/Alexandria”?

Yeah, I can, but that's really a temporary fix, I think... at least in
the since that I think I will run into the same issue every time I use
the drive on a different machine, once I set it permanently on my
primary system.  So I either have to fix udev on every system I want
to use the drive on, or I have to take that extra step every time I
plug the drive in...  the real problem is that it's just ridiculous
that when I plug my drive in, it's unusable without me monkeying about
in a terminal.