workspace question

Linda haniganwork at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 29 13:36:19 UTC 2013

  I have a user who uses gnome-classic with 12.04 LTS and is
just starting to use workspaces. Today when she tried to
switch workspace she wound up with a screen with just her
background no panels, menus or shortcuts. I had her try
ctrl-alt-arrow but it just cycled through for screens with
only her background. I just ssh in and restarted Xwindows
but am wondering if anyone knows what could have caused it
and of a different way to get an active desktop back.
                        Thanks
                         Linda