Flash Issues on old 32 bit pc

Peter Smout smoutpete at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 13:32:40 UTC 2013

On 29/08/13 08:33, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 29/08/13 14:51, Ric Moore wrote:

>>> RAM         1001 MiB
>>> Graphics    GeForce FX 5200
>>>

>> Got your nVidia driver installed? (legacy) Ric
>
> I am coming in at the end of this thread so this may have been already
> covered.
>
> Ask the OP (1) if his installation is a clean install or an upgrade
> from an earlier version and where he, therefore, retained his /home
> directory; (2) is the copy of Firefox the one installed by Ubuntu or
> manually installed from the Mozilla site; and (3) where does the
> symlink for flashplayer point in his setup - is it pointing at the
> correct version of flash (and in the correct directory).
>
> BC

Hi,

Many thanks for the suggestions, none of which have worked?!?

Ric, I went into /var/cache/apt/archives and removed anything with flash
in the name!! I then went back into software-center and removed
ubuntu-restricted-extras and reinstalled it (still never got told to
accept the licence), I done it this way as that is recommended on
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/Flash for 32bit pc's
(note after that I tried flashplugin-installer which the docs say for
64bit), neither way asked for licence to be okay'd or produced anything
on youtube.

Basil C, In answer to your questions it is a fresh install, so no left
over configs, browser is default (no added addons or anything yet...).
Your 3rd question has left me slightly stumped, how do I check this?

I appologise wholeheartedly if my tone last night offended or upset
anyone on this list, it had been a long hard day, and I was not really
in the mood for playing around with pc's (especially one that isn't mine ;))

I am sure this is a resolvable problem, I have never had any flash
problems before, although I have ended up going to their site and
manually installing it from there before now!!

My friend is new to our Ubuntu world, I have successfully installed
Ubuntu 13.04 onto his fairly modern laptop (flash no problem) but this
old PC is driving me insane!! Even with Win 7 on it flash worked no
probs Pc was slower than a slow thing when asleep! But at least it all
worked!

Thanks again

Pete Smout