Printer Question

Juan R. de Silva juan.r.d.silva at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 19:32:46 UTC 2013

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 19:22:05 -0500, Wade Smart wrote:

> --
> Registered Linux User: #480675
> Registered Linux Machine: #408606
> Linux since June 2005
>

> On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 7:15 PM, Robert Holtzm <holtzm at cox.net> wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 05:57:43PM +0000, Juan R. de Silva wrote:
>>> On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 05:51:28 -0700, Barry Premeaux wrote:
>>>
>>> I had before HP OfficeJet. It is a common consensus that HP is well
>>> supported in Linux. In my experience however the Brother drivers are
>>> way, way better then hplip. My HP OfficeJet did not have built-in
>>> duplex and I had to use hplip provided manual "duplex" option. That is
>>> printing first odd pages, then turning the pile over and printing the
>>> even pages. hplip always screwed it up giving me headache. I not only
>>> had to turn the whole pile over but I had to turn each page up down
>>> too. That was a nightmare.
>>>
>>> Speaking of quality of the printer itself, there is no way HP flimsy
>>> printers can come even close with the quality of my Brother MFC. Very
>>> sturdy build, reliable workhorse. I have a laser All-in-One with
>>> duplex built-in (no wireless) and, since I get it on sale, it cost me
>>> much less than the flimsy HP OfficeJet. After I've discovered for
>>> myself Brother MFCs, I'd never go back to any of HP products.
>>
>> Looking at their web site I see no inkjet printers. I have no
>> experience with laserjets. How do they work with long (weeks/months)
>> periods of inactivity?
>>
>> --
>> Bob Holtzman
>> Your mail is being read by tight lipped NSA agents who fail to see
>> humor in Doctor Strangelove
>> Key ID 8D549279
>>
>> --
>>

> My laser will sit for several weeks between use. Same as ink: turn it
> on, warm it up, print.

My MFC-7460DN is a laser. I have with it same experience. No problems for
sitting quietly for several weeks. Good on toner. Overall quality of the
machine, as I already mentioned, is excellent, gives no chance to HP crap.

In my past as Windows user I mostly used Cannon printers and had very
good experience with them and very high esteem for their quality. I've
stopped using them since I switched to Linux years ago, since there is no
Linux support. Thus I do not know what their are now.

Many posters praise their Epsons. I've never used them. I never liked the
idea to ditch a printer just because the printer head has died.

What's to the ink. After I get my laser I would never back to any ink jet.