Samba printing (status =held )

Bill Stanley bstanle at wowway.com
Thu Aug 15 04:47:16 UTC 2013

On 08/14/2013 05:15 PM, Robert Steinmetz AIA wrote:
> When this stuff works it work great when it doesn't it don't
>
> First step is always more information
>
> On the Printer Side
>
>   * What printer are you using?

WS=> It is an old HP 940.  (I don't have any need for anything newer.)

>   * How is it connected to the computer?

WS=> It is connected to my linux machine via a USB cable.

>  *
>

> On the Network side
>
>   * Can you ping the Linux Machine from Windows
>   * Can you ping Windows from Linux?

WS=> I never tried that because I disable ping at the firewall on both
computers.  I don't think that is the problem because I was able to
network share the printer and successfully print.

>   * Can you see any shares on the Linux computer?
>   * Can you see any shares on the Windows computer?

WS=>The printer shows up on my windows machine.  The fact that the Linux
computer gets a print job indicates that at least a part of the print
job is transmitted.

> On the Windows side:
>
>   * What printer drivers are loaded?

WS=> The proper drivers are installed on the Windows computer.

>   * What port are you using?

WS=> I'm not sure which port you are referring to.  The printer is
connected via a USB port,  The network connection is wireless to my
Windows machine and wired (Ethernet) to my Linux machine.  The router is
a D-Link DIR-655.

> On the Ubuntu Side:
>
>   * Are you using CUPS?
>   * What is the printer called?

WS=> I am using cups and the printer name is desktop_printer. The
Windows machine sees the printer name.