Live Disc, with Persistence storage either on a flash drive or hard drive

John Hupp ubuntu at prpcompany.com
Mon Aug 12 19:18:55 UTC 2013

I tried to get to a workable Raring Live DVD setup with persistence on a
USB flash drive.  In Gparted, I deleted the existing partition on the
flash drive, created a single FAT32-type partition labeled "casper-rw,"
then formatted the partition as FAT32.  I booted to the Live DVD with
the flash drive inserted (choosing F6 Options and adding " persistent"
to the boot string), made some changes, rebooted again the same way and
found that the changes had not been saved.

I also tried to set up the Raring Live DVD with persistence on an
internal hard drive.  In a terminal I did:
     dd if-/dev/zero of=casper-rw bs=1M count=768
     mkfs.ext3 -F casper-rw
Then I moved the resulting casper-rw file both to the root of the hard
drive,  rebooted to the Live DVD (choosing F6 Options and adding "
persistent" to the boot string), made some changes, rebooted again the
same way and found that the changes had not been saved.

(Perhaps I should note that I have succeeded making a Live USB stick
with persistence storage located on the same 4GB or 8GB stick, but I
also wanted to figure out how to use a Live DVD + 1GB stick.)