Cannot boot new base Ubuntu Server 13.04 installation on Mac Mini 6, 1

Dave Woyciesjes woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 8 13:31:39 UTC 2013

On 08/08/2013 09:20 AM, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
> On 08/08/2013 04:10 AM, Patrick Asselman wrote:
>>
>> Hmmm, according to this article
>> http://regebro.wordpress.com/2008/11/16/installing-linux-on-a-macbook-without-os-x/
>>

>> Apple will only boot from a HFS+ partition. Since your Mac does not have
>> one, it shows the missing boot media flashy icon thing.
>>
>> The only solution seems to be to create a HFS+ partition on the disk,
>> with either a full OSX on it, or something smaller like rEFIt boot menu.
>> The article does not clearly say if you can make it choose a default
>> boot item, or if you need to make a choice every time you reboot.
>>

>      I don't recall where I found the instructions, but I did get
> rEFIt-0.14.dmg installed on my iMac. Mine is set for dual boot; and I
> did get it to have Ubuntu as the default OS.
>      I'd have to look for the how-to I used...

	Checking Firefox history, I got:
http://refit.sourceforge.net/doc/c1s1_install.html

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MactelSupportTeam/AppleIntelInstallation#Dual-Boot:_Mac_OSX_and_Ubuntu

I also came across this, but I don't remember reading it:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntuprecisequantalon2011imac

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818