why ubuntu LTS installs all in a single partition?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat Aug 3 14:28:27 UTC 2013

On 3 August 2013 04:13, Christofer C. Bell <christofer.c.bell at gmail.com> wrote:

> While it may work for you, a blanket recommendation to have no swap should
> be avoided.  Please look into how Linux handles memory allocations
> (specifically look into vm.overcommit_memory and vm.overcommit_ratio).  For
> modern Linux systems with large amounts of RAM, a good rule of thumb is to
> have 2GB of swap.

Did you get to the part about how I have installed a daemon to
dynamically add swap *files* as required?

The main use for a swap partition today is hibernation. It's a server.
I don't hibernate servers. I don't hibernate desktops, either. So I
don't put swap partitions on servers or desktops.

Most modern PCs have more RAM fitted than they will ever need anyway.
8GB is the norm, 16GB is becoming frequent. Unless someone has very
specific needs (e.g. editing very large media files, running multiple
VMs), this is more RAM than most will ever require. On such systems,
swap is an anachronism.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884