Default location to store source code

Phil Dobbin bukowskiscat at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 19:44:41 UTC 2013

On 04/30/2013 04:28 AM, Sabniveesu Shashank wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I'd like to know where generally downloaded source code (from SVN/git)
> etc. are placed on a Linux machine.

Generally anywhere in your $HOME/ directory will do although some prefer
(mostly old svn guys) /srv or /src

I generally put git checkouts in $HOME/dev & all src tarballs, rpms &
deb files in $HOME/Downloads/build/ but that's just the way I'm used to
organising stuff.

As I said anywhere in $HOME/ is fine although I wouldn't particularly
recommend filling ~/bin up with build stuff. Try to steer clear of your ENV

Cheers,

  Phil...

--
currently (ab)using
CentOS 5.9 & 6.4, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Beefy, Spherical &