set up wifi hotspot (share internet connection)

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 07:31:32 UTC 2013

Hello,

On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 10:04 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:
> The adhoc mode is meant to be used between two machines. I'm not sure if
> your application of providing internet access to a second machine is
> really specified. OTOH the access point mode is what is suited for your
> use case.

I see.

> That's very good, the Atheros wifi chips can be used for AP mode. Then
> you should install the package "hostapd" and you can let your machine
> work as an access point with WPA2 encryption. IIRC you can setup the AP
> with the hostapd configuration [1].

Hmm, I found a GUI that allows to set up hostapd, called
wifi-hostapd-ap, ( https://code.google.com/p/wifi-hostapd-ap/ ), but
when I run it tells me:
"DNSMAQS already in use

Warning! It seems that DNSMASQ already in use on your system, as the
local DNS. For correct operation of the program, you must disable the
local DNS. Before proceeding, please close all connections to the
Internet. Continue?"

When I press cancel, it then tells me:
"To use the program must have full access to DNSMASQ."

I tried to disable Networking in NM and then run the utility again,
but I get the same message. Any ideas on how I could disable the local
DNS?

Regards,
Liviu