blue tooth not working

Gary Kirkpatrick garyartista at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 07:55:52 UTC 2013

Just now started having trouble connecting my phone and wireless earphone
via blue tooth.  A dialogue asks me to open a terminal and sudo hcidump
-XYt > $HOME/hci.log.  Terminal says command not found.

The dialogue box says - Open a new terminal
    - Run the command "sudo hcidump -XYt > $HOME/hci.log"
    - Reproduce the actions until the error happens
    - On the terminal, press Ctrl+C to stop hcidump.
    - Attach the file hci.log to the bug report.

The error is reported on start up.  How would I reproduce the error?  Would
I just try to connect to bluetooth as I usually do with Bluetooth manager?

this is ubuntu 12.04.

Thanks for any advice.