Installation of older ubuntu

Phil Dobbin bukowskiscat at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 00:15:42 UTC 2013

On 04/26/2013 01:21 AM, bryan hamilton wrote:

> I would like to start off by saying that "I love ubuntu" but i'm not a
> fan of the new user interface (ubuntu 12.04).  I see that most other OS
> dev's seem to be going in a similar route in gui design. anyway I've
> recently upgraded to 12.04 (fresh install) and would like to downgrade
>
> my question is,
>
> if i was to 'downgrade' to say any older and now unsupported 'LT' will i
> be able to download applications and such forever-ever-ness ? meaning
> are the repo's staying online/accessible via apt?  and if so, can i get
> the repo links  ?
>

> I had planned on downgrading to 10.04.

As the others have said, 10.04 is a Bad Idea. Always is once a distro
reaches EOL if for no other reason than you can't install stuff from the
repos anymore.

I've just installed 13.04 for my wife & I picked the Gnome version as
opposed to Unity & it's very good. If you're not used to Gnome it may
take you a week or so to feel comfortable with it but my wife's been
using Unity since it came out, wasn't bothered either way but
immediately she has taken to Gnome 3 & professes her approval of it
(unheard of, let me tell you).

Gnome 3 is here to stay so it's worthwhile giving it a spin to see if
you can cope with it. I find it functional enough but I must admit I was
never a fan of Gnome 2; too staid & reminded me of first starting on
Debian in 2005 & I'm glad it's gone from my life to be honest (well, I
have got Squeeze still installed & Lubuntu but they're running headless
so no eye sores there).

My two bob.

Cheers,

  Phil...

--
currently (ab)using
CentOS 5.9 & 6.4, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Beefy, Spherical &