set up wifi hotspot (share internet connection)

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat Apr 27 20:04:28 UTC 2013

Liviu Andronic wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 6:14 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:
> > From your initial post I was expecting that you wanted to use your
> > laptop as an access point. However adhoc mode is something totally
>
> Well, I'm not sure what's the difference between the two. I simply
> wanted to have a laptop connected to a wired interface, and render the
> internet via a Wi-Fi to other devices.

The adhoc mode is meant to be used between two machines. I'm not sure if
your application of providing internet access to a second machine is
really specified. OTOH the access point mode is what is suited for your
use case.

> > different. Still the question remains: what wifi hardware is in your
> > laptop? Usually you could find it out with the command
> >
> > lspci
> >
> > in a terminal.
>
> user at liv-laptop:~$ lspci | grep -i athe
> 01:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285
> Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
> 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR8132 Fast
> Ethernet (rev c0)
>
> Is this good, or bad?

That's very good, the Atheros wifi chips can be used for AP mode. Then
you should install the package "hostapd" and you can let your machine
work as an access point with WPA2 encryption. IIRC you can setup the AP
with the hostapd configuration [1].

Nils

[1] <http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/hostapd>