set up wifi hotspot (share internet connection)

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat Apr 27 16:14:09 UTC 2013

Liviu Andronic wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:
> > First of all you need hardware which is capable of running as a
> > wireless access point, not all chipsets can do that. What wifi
> > hardware is in your laptop?
>
> In the end I managed to set up the Adhoc hotspot using NetworkManager
> (0.9.4 on Ubuntu Precise), using the following setup.
> - Laptop A wired onto eth0
> - Create Adhoc network on Laptop A with "shared internet connection";
> do not use encryption
> - Connect Laptop B to Adhoc hotspot. Internet works on Laptop B.

>From your initial post I was expecting that you wanted to use your
laptop as an access point. However adhoc mode is something totally
different. Still the question remains: what wifi hardware is in your
laptop? Usually you could find it out with the command

lspci

in a terminal.

> However I'm running into a strange issue:
> If I use no encryption for the Adhoc network, then I manage to connect
> Laptop B to this network and access the internet. But if I put a WEP
> password, then internet won't get shared even if Laptop B connects to
> this network. For obvious reasons I would like to have this hotspot
> use an encrypted connection.

WEP is as good as no encryption [1], so you might as well use the
working unencrypted setup. If you want a rather secure encryption, use
WPA2 or at least WPA. Any halfway modern wifi device should be capable
of WPA2 but I don't know if adhoc mode supports WPA/WPA2.

> Is it possible that this is a bug in NM?

Sorry, I can't help you here - I'm not really familiar with NM because I
use wicd for my laptop. Furthermore I don't use adhoc mode ...

Nils

[1] <http://h-online.com/-732607>