AMD Radeon HD 3450 driver broken in 13.04

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 17:20:44 UTC 2013

I updated my Toshiba Satellite Pro P300 from 12.04 this afternoon --
and now it's comprehensively broken.

This is apparently a known problem - see:

&

http://www.linuxine.com/story/ubuntu-1304-raring-ringtail-ati-radeon-hd-3xxx-and-4xxx-problems-again

There is a workaround, involving downgrading to an older version of
X.org and AMD's legacy driver, but this workaround has issues with
Unity, which appear to affect me.

https://launchpad.net/~makson96/+archive/fglrx

I have installed the fix as described and now my graphics are back up
to their normal, full resolution, but Unity will not start. I can
start Metacity manually, by pressing Ctrl-Alt-T for a borderless
terminal window and then running

metacity --replace &

... but that only gives me a window manager, not a full desktop.

I am currently wondering whether to reinstall 12.04 or switch distros
or at least desktops.

Not happy. :¬(

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884