Installation of older ubuntu

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 10:17:33 UTC 2013

On 26 April 2013 01:21, bryan hamilton <bhamilton_930 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I would like to start off by saying that "I love ubuntu" but i'm not a fan
> of the new user interface (ubuntu 12.04).  I see that most other OS dev's
> seem to be going in a similar route in gui design. anyway I've recently
> upgraded to 12.04 (fresh install) and would like to downgrade
>
> my question is,
>
> if i was to 'downgrade' to say any older and now unsupported 'LT' will i be
> able to download applications and such forever-ever-ness ? meaning are the
> repo's staying online/accessible via apt?  and if so, can i get the repo
> links  ?
>
> I had planned on downgrading to 10.04.
>
> I hoped i was able to explain that well enough.

Don't.

You can't  downgrade, you'd need to do a fresh install. This is a bad
plan as 10.04 is effectively dead.

But Ubuntu is not its desktop. Ubuntu is the whole OS. The desktop is
just a layer on top. Just install a different one.

Xfce looks and works very like GNOME 2 and it is current and supported
and in the official repositories. Just do:

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop.

If you like it, remove Unity later. Ditto any apps you don't use.

Or, reinstall with Xubuntu 12.04.

If you want GNOME 2 back, install Maté. It's the same code, forked and
renamed. However, it's not part of Ubuntu - you'll have to add
external repositories. Works fine, though. But it's old code, and
while it is being maintained, it's a big project with only a few
volunteers behind it. It may thrive, it may die out, it's too soon to
tell.

If you don't like Unity, I suggest you avoid GNOME 3, which was
another reply's suggestion. It is similar to Unity - vertical dock
thing on the left, full-screen iconic app browser, no menus to pick
apps from. Some like it, but many more don't.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884